This week marks the 152nd anniversary of the marriage between Charles Jacques François Perrotin and Catherine O’Grady (also known as Catherine Grady), on January 26, 1860, in Shreveport, Louisiana.
Here is a copy of their Certificate of Marriage. A transcription follows, along with a short background of a legendary Catholic priest who united the couple in Holy Matrimony.
“J. Pierre” was Father John Pierre, the founding pastor of Holy Family Church, the first Catholic church in Shreveport. As a seminarian in France, Pierre had been recruited by Bishop Augustus Martin of the then-new Diocese of Natchitoches, to do missionary work. He arrived there in 1854. On his ordination date one year later, Bishop Martin appointed Father Pierre as pastor of the first parish of the diocese, Holy Apostles. When he became aware that the Catholic families in the nearby city of Shreveport had no priests or places to worship, Father Pierre persuaded the bishop to let him expand his missionary work. He bought land on the corner of Fannin and Marshall Streets in Shreveport, where he built a small wood frame church (the first in Shreveport) in 1856. He replaced it with a larger brick church three years later. This was Holy Family Church and most likely is where he married François and Catherine.
|Father John Pierre, center|
In a fateful coincidence, yellow fever would go on to claim the life of the Perrotin’s only son, Francisco, some 26 years later in Orizaba, Mexico.
Copyright (C) 2012 Linda Huesca Tully